This project was a little more frustrating than I thought it would be, but I am pretty proud of my end result.
The student examples were really helpful for thinking of ideas on what to create. When I thought about day trips and travel, the idea of a map came to mind. I knew that I wanted to showcase some of my photography as well; so what better way to do that than take my pictures, and make them into what looks like printed images. I actually take a film camera with me when I travel, so many of these photos I have duplicates of printed from a film camera as well. My inspiration was really taken from my life I suppose.
For this project, I made the image size of the canvas as big as the map, because I knew I wanted it to be the background. I then took down some of the brightness and saturation on the map, so that it didn’t detract from the images I would be laying over it. I wanted to find a map that had Oregon in it as well, because I have some previous images about Oregon, and will be traveling there next month. So, expect to see some Oregon in my blog soon as well.
With the images I used, I selected images from all over the area, so the viewer could get a good cross-section of the PNW experience. I had a lot more to choose from, but narrowed it down to photos that I decided were necessary. For example, I had a lot of photos of downtown Seattle, but did not use them because I thought the other photos were stronger in that area. With these images, I edited them similar to the layers tutorial, because I liked that style. I created a layer style so that they would all look similar on the page.
Next comes the text, and admittedly the hardest part of my project. I really wanted the text to stand out from the busy background of the map. So, I probably went through around six different colors before choosing this burnt-orange color. I wanted a green, but it really didn’t stand out from the background, because there is a lot of green in it already. The orange is a contrasting color, so I figured it would work.
I also added some texture, drop shadow, and bevel to the text, to give it almost a three-dimensional appearance. I am up for changing that texture to maybe one that resembles pine-needles, and plan on messing with that for my final draft.
I added my blog’s name to the bottom, for promotional purposes. If this photo was cycling on the internet, I would want people to know where it’s.
All photos are mine, except for the mopeds picture, taken by my father Robert Chapman. The map is a public domain “Courtesy of the University of Texas Libraries, The University of Texas at Austin”and can be found at http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/united_states/washington_90.jpg .