Finally, after hours of frustration, my logo has been completed. What started as a page of sketches, that can be found here is now a real-life logo. Yay!
As a said in my previous post, I wanted this logo to be something that could be found on t-shirts, water bottles, and other types of similar merchandise. It had to be something that was representative of some key things in the Pacific Northwest. After all, we are blessed to be able to travel to the forest, the desert, the ocean, and the mountains in only a matter of hours here.
This is my logo draft. Included in this post are my initial instructions on how to create this logo. As you can see, it’s been revised a bit, because of some peer feedback I received. One person told me to make the greens darker, to be more representative of our evergreen trees. Another was to change the words and font from “Pacific Northwest” to “PNW” to allow for some consistency between my blog products. Also, my TA told me to soften up some weird edges, so that my image would look better when scaled to smaller sizes. So, I set out to revise. Here are my basic revisions:
- First, I had to get rid of that awful gradient I had on my logo before. Oh my goodness, it took me about an hour to figure out how to remove the gradient, but eventually I did. It turns out, you can go to your layers panel and delete things. I spent a lot of time trying to change the fill and stroke, this apparently does not work after the image has already been expanded previously. It took some finagling.
- Next, I played around with some of the anchor points with my direct selection tool. I wanted to delete the ones that made weird angles, and take away unnecessary ones for some simplifying. So, I used the delete anchor point tool.When I had the anchor points I wanted, I made sure that all of my lines were connected with the shape builder tool, and grouped it all to make sure.
- Next, I went to change the text and font. I ended up with a font that came from Illustrator. It looks similar to fonts found on old railroad signs, a nod to Washington’s past. I also changed to “PNW” because it is a phrase that I use instead of “Pacific Northwest” on my blog. I adjusted the font size accordingly.
- Next, I tried to find a color scheme that I would like better. I changed the direction of the gradient from top to bottom using the gradient tool, and used a green on the bottom, and a blue similar to the sky on the top. This blue sky-green ground scheme is relatable to people, and it gives the logo some depth.
- Finally, I needed to make sure that my logo would again be scalable, because I also messed around with the stroke to see if there was a size that I liked better. I selected the whole image, and then clicked object+expand. I then tested it by holding shift and scaling my image up and down. I was happy to find that it all scaled well.
- Of course, I highlighted my final logo with the black arrow tool, and exported to a high quality JPEG to publish on my blog.
So, here it is, my final logo. While this project was challenging, it opened my eyes to how much there is to learn about Illustrator that I still don’t know.