For this project, I made an audio-diary type project, talking about some of the highlights of my weekend in Portland. While I did a ton of things in Portland, I narrowed it down to things that I felt were most interesting for an audio story.
In terms of inspiration for this project, I am going to be honest and say that I did not listen to other audio stories that were related to travel. This was for a reason, as I wanted these to be my own ideas, and I felt that if I listened to other travel stories I would be mimicking, rather than creating.
However, there were a few stories in the example section of the weekly readings that I really admired. The Musical Language story was one that I admired, because the music was included not only as an active part of the story, but part of the music bed as well. You will see where I tried to duplicate this at the end of my piece.
I began this story by capturing raw audio while walking around Portland, I wanted the sounds of the city to guide my listener through the piece. Then, I spent the morning writing a script and recording it on my iPhone to narrate my piece. I woke up that morning with a terrible cold, so the amount of mouth breathing I had to cut out of my audio was outstanding. Haha.
Here is how I put the story together in Audition.
- I downloaded a trial of Audition, and began a new session, with the same bit and sample rates as used in the tutorials.
- Next, I used the import option to import all of my raw audio files and narration that I had recorded on my phone. (I had emailed them to myself previously).
- Now, I began dragging the narration over to the first track, and placing it in the order I thought best suited the piece.
- When I had the audio in the order I liked, I began using the razor tool to edit out any coughs, long breathes, awkward pauses, or unnecessary information from my narration. I would highlight an area, use the razor tool to slice it on either end, and use backspace to get rid of them.
- After I had the narration figured out, I began to drag over onto a track below the first one all of my ambient noises I had recorded during the duration of my trip, and trying to align them to the parts of the story where I was talking about them
- Again, I used the razor tool to slice out any information that was not needed in these files.
- After I had the ambient noise track in the order I wanted them, I dragged them and the narration tracks from side to side, until I found pauses in the narration and noises that seemed to flow into each other.
- Finally, it was time to adjust the volume. While I kept the narration volume the same, the background ambient noise needed to be adjusted. By clicking on the solid line in the middle of these tracks, I was able to drag the volume down on each track as a whole.
- In order to make the volume on these tracks fluctuate, again I click on the solid line controlling the volume in the middle of the track. Instead of pulling it down though, I clicked once towards the beginning of the track, and once about a second in. I then adjusted the first point by pulling it down with my mouse. The creates a fade in effect.
- I did the same at the end of the track, using two points to make my audio fade out.
- After a quick listen through for any last adjustments, I exported my file into an MP3, using file+export+multi-track mixdown+entire session, keeping the same audio formats I used in the start of my session.